Saturday, June 18, 2016

Where and How Long Can I Keep My Canned Goods?



That is the question I kept asking myself every time I thought about canning something and it scared me to death! So much so that I wouldn't even attempt it but after a lot of researching, and I mean a LOT, I think I understand enough not to be too afraid to try it..
I have learned the following info from the USDA: that I need to store canned foods and other shelf-stable products in a cool, dry place. Never put them above the stove, under the sink, in a damp garage or basement, or any place exposed to high or low-temperature extremes. 

While extremely rare, a toxin produced by Clostridium botulinum is the worst danger in canned goods. NEVER USE food from containers that show possible "botulism" warnings: leaking, bulging, or badly dented cans; cracked jars or jars with loose or bulging lids; canned food with a foul odor; or any container that spurts liquid when opening. DON'T TASTE SUCH FOOD! Even a minuscule amount of botulinum toxin can be deadly.
Can linings might discolor or corrode when metal reacts with high-acid foods such as tomatoes or pineapple. As long as the can is in good shape, the contents should be safe to eat, although the taste, texture and nutritional value of the food can diminish over time.
The graphic on the left I compiled from the many books and web pages that I meticulously went through and read. I am sure some of it might be off by a couple months or so but I made it as a reference so I don't keep things too long because I would hate to make anyone sick. If any of you know of something wrong please let me know so that I can note it. 
Needless to say, I am totally excited to start this wonderful journey of canning and I will keep you guys updated along the way!



No comments:

Post a Comment